What is creamy MCT oil? Unlike regular MCT oil, which separates when mixed with water, creamy MCT oil (aka our Keto Coffee Creamer) is water soluble and mixes easily into both hot and cold liquids. Creamy MCT oil has all the same nutritional properties of regular MCT Oil but has the added benefit of being easier to digest.
In this article, you will learn:
- Emulsification: the process behind our Keto Coffee Creamer
- How Keto Coffee Creamer is made
- Benefits of Keto Coffee Creamer
- Delicious ways to improve your health with Keto Coffee Creamer
Emulsification: The Process Behind Keto Coffee Creamer
An emulsion is a mixture of oil and water, two substances that normally don’t want to mix due to their opposing molecular charges.
Classic examples of food emulsions include:
- Salad dressings and vinaigrettes made of vinegar and oil
- Homogenized milk that contains both fat and water
- Mayonnaise, which contains water-soluble lemon juice or vinegar and fat-soluble egg yolks and oil
- Oil in water - Ex. heavy cream
- Water in oil - Ex. churned butter
- Through mechanical force - Ex. whisking mayonnaise. This type of emulsification works initially but tends to be unstable and oil and water eventually separate back out.
- With an emulsifier - Ex. adding sunflower lecithin. Emulsifiers are chemically known as phospholipids, molecules that bind equally to both oil and water allow them to make a stable mixture.
- By adding a thickener - Ex. adding flour to drippings to make gravy. Thickeners alter the chemical property of viscosity and stabilize an emulsion by preventing fat molecules from globbing together.
How Keto Coffee Creamer is Made
While we can’t speak for other companies, our Keto Coffee Creamer starts with organic, Non-GMO Project verified, expeller-pressed virgin coconut oil.
We use coconut oil because it is a rich natural source of ketogenic c8 (caprylic) and c10 (capric) MCTs which both rapidly convert into ketones when consumed. Palm oil is another common source of raw MCTs, but palm oil plantations contribute to deforestation of orangutan habitats in southeast Asia (and it doesn't stop there). This is why we source our coconut oil only from environmentally sustainable coconut plantations.
The next step is an extraction and purification processes called fractionation and molecular distillation that separates the MCTs from the other fats and organic molecules found in raw coconut oil. This is why MCT oil is liquid at room temperature and coconut oil is solid. The “solid” coconut oil has a higher percentage of long chain fatty acids that solidify at room temperature while the liquid MCT oil is comprised of smaller medium chain fats that stay liquid.
Once the raw coconut oil has been transformed into MCT oil, it is further refined to remove c12 MCTs (lauric acid) and is then emulsified through the use of water and a soluble fiber called gum Arabic. The gum Arabic allows water to blend with the MCT oil, creating a creamy liquid that can mix easily with other water-soluble liquids such as coffee or tea. In addition to helping emulsify our Keto Coffee Creamer, gum Arabic acts as a prebiotic fiber, feeding beneficial gut bacteria and potentially helping to reduce body fat and BMI.
MCTs are naturally anti-microbial but the addition of water to the mix decreases their ability to ward off microorganisms. To prevent spoilage, we use a natural anti-microbial found in the berries of ash trees called sorbic acid. Sorbic acid prevents bacteria and other organisms from growing and which allows Keto Coffee Creamer to stay fresh for up to one year in normal, cool and dry conditions.
Keto Coffee Creamer (Creamy MCT) BenefitsKeto Coffee Creamer (creamy MCT) has the same health benefits of regular MCT oil including increased metabolism, improved mental focus, and reduced inflammation, but it also confers additional benefits not found in regular MCT.
- Easier digestion: When you consume normal dietary fats, your body has to work hard to emulsify and digest them. This can be difficult for individuals who have had gall bladder removal surgery since they lack the bile salts which are essential to this process. With emulsified MCT oil, the fats are already emulsified, so your body does need to produce as much bile and they can, therefore, be more easily digested.
- Easier use: Regular MCT’s do not want to mix into water-soluble liquids such as coffee or tea, so they require blending or other mechanical means to get them mixed in. Many folks have tried to add MCT to their coffee only to have it form a blistering hot oil slick. With a creamy, emulsified MCT like our Keto Coffee Creamer, this is a non-issue since they can be easily added and mixed with just a spoon.
Delicious Uses for Keto Coffee Creamer
Since Keto Coffee Creamer can be mixed easily into both hot or cold liquids the ways to use it are nearly endless. To help you get started, here are a few of our favorite ways to use Keto Coffee Creamer:
- Add to your morning coffee or tea for a sugar-free energy boost
- Stir into sparkling water for a refreshing mid-day lift
- Blend into smoothies or fresh fruit juices for added healthy fats
- Mix into oatmeal or chia pudding for a delicious creamy flavor
- Add to baked goods and improve their nutrient density
Keto Coffee Creamer Pro-tips
In the same way that “cream rises to the top” in whole, homogenized milk, some of the MCT “cream” can rise to the top of your Keto Coffee Creamer.
This separation is totally normal and natural, but adding a particularly “creamy” (or “watery”) shot of Keto Coffee Creamer isn’t ideal from a taste and consistency perspective.
So, to ensure that you always get the best taste and consistency, always shake your Keto Coffee Creamer before each use!
(Want articles like this via email? Here's the sign up!)