We’re going to go out on a limb and guess you’re probably the type of person to buy organic produce and ask about the farms where your chickens lay eggs and your beef grazes grass – and we love you for that! You care about where your food comes from and that you’re supporting sustainable business practices, both environmental and social. But did you know that you can take your conscious consumerism to the next level by supporting Certified B Corps?
Read on to find out what exactly a B Corp is, what rigorous environmental and social standards are required to become certified as a B Corp, how B Corps are making the world a better place, and how you can join in this mission for positive change.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- What is a B Corp?
- What are the certification requirements?
- 5 Reasons Supporting B Corps Will Make the World a Better Place
- How to Support B Corps
You don’t have to be a non-profit to give back in a big way. Certified B CorporationsTM (aka B Corps) are for-profit businesses that have the highest standards when it comes to social and environmental performance and accountability. They believe that business should impact way more than just shareholders’ wallets and instead, create a new definition for success that includes the planet, the community, and employees.
“Becoming a B Corp is parallel to a farm becoming certified organic or a coffee company becoming fair trade certified. It shows that the company is following a set of standards and taking steps to be more socially and environmentally responsible.” – Huffington Post
Every B Corp certified company passes rigorous certification requirements and is reevaluated annually, which means these companies are continually working hard to be better and do better. Natural Force is proud to join a growing community of more than 2,100 Certified B Corps from 50 countries and more than 130 industries.
Eligible companies complete the B Impact Assessment created by B Lab, the B Corps certifying body. The B Impact Assessment is a series of questions that help quantify how your business affects the environment, your employees, and how the company gives back to the community.
From there, each business can objectively analyze their business practices and create strategic improvement plans to improve their score.
Natural Force completed the B Impact Assessment in less than 6 months and as of May 2018, we’re proud to announce that Natural Force is both a certified B Corp™ as well as a legally recognized Benefit corporation.
This means that our mission – to help people live happier, healthier lives through quality nutrition while minimizing our impact on the planet – is baked into our corporate DNA. No matter who our shareholders are or who’s on the board of directors, we hold ourselves to the highest social and environmental standards.
So why should you support the B Corp mission?
1. B Corps are actually doing good. You know how a product will say it’s “natural,” but that doesn’t really mean anything? That’s not the case with B Corps. With a B Corp, you can feel confident that that business is giving back to the environment, the community, their employees, and you! Since the companies publish annual Impact Reports, you know a B Corp is actively practicing what it preaches, and by supporting them, you’re contributing to these do-good missions.
2. You have the power to put your money where your values are. There are more than 2,100 certified B Corps, which means there are many different business you can support that are doing more than simply selling a product for profit. By using the B Corp directory you can make each purchase count.
3. You have healthier investment opportunities. Putting money and energy back into employees, the earth, and our communities is no longer solely synonymous with non-profit organizations. Even publicly traded companies are B Corp certified, so you have better choices when it comes to investing your cash. As more people support B Corps, it will encourage more and more companies to pursue B Corp certification.
4. B Corps are thinking about the environment as much as you do. B Lab is making it easier than ever for buyers to find companies that support causes that matter. And because the certification process holds every company accountable with annual assessments, you know that their promises are worth more than just writing them in their online mission statement. B Corps companies are dedicated to organic, local ingredients, lessening their environmental footprint, and giving back what they take from the earth.
At Natural Force, we reflect this commitment in our super high-quality sourcing practices, which have been a priority for us since day one. You can always expect the highest standards from us, like our commitment to non-GMO, organic, and grass-fed ingredient transparency and sourcing.
But we wouldn’t be in this business at all if it weren’t for the nutrient-dense bounty that mother earth provides! In an ongoing commitment to the environment, we’re transitioning to fully eco-friendly packaging by 2020. That’s the kind of promise you can expect from B Corp Certified businesses.
5. B Corps are creating healthier communities, inside and outside the company. Happy employees = happy people = happy communities.
Unhappy employees and high turnover rates can cost companies millions. Instead, we, like so many other B Corp Certified businesses, are committed to the health and happiness of our employees. As an example, B Corp certification was catalyst forNatural Forces’ paid Parental Leave Policy to support employees with new and growing families.
It’s time for profit-driven businesses to take sustainability and environmental and social issues into account in a serious way. Learn more about B Corps here.
To find out which companies are certified B Corps and to learn more about how each is giving back to the environment and their communities, check out this directory. And at the very least, always look for the Certified B Corp logo!
To learn more about why becoming a certified B Corp is so important to Natural Force, check out this article.
Are you excited to change the world? We know we are!